Interview with Nicky Carling
Take a few deep breaths, relax, and tune into this month’s episode where host Cathy Booth meets ringer, counsellor, hypnotherapist and trauma care practitioner, Nicky Carling to talk about building up confidence for returning to the tower.
Yes, it’s probably time you changed out of your pyjamas, dragged yourself momentarily away from Ringing Room and ventured out to the exciting world of real-life bell ringing.
However, if this thought makes you at all anxious then Nicky offers lots of helpful tips and tools gained from her extensive experience as a professional therapist.
From techniques like mindfulness and Emotional Freedom Technique, to alternative remedies like Bach Flower Rescue Remedy, there’s a wide range of help to boost your confidence, whatever your needs and ringing level. And if you’re planning to get back into practice for the National 12 Bell competition, then hypnotherapy might just help give you the competitive edge …
About Nicky Carling
Nicky began ringing at the age of ten, along with her mum and sister: both learners, and her dad, Garry Mason, who was returning to ringing after a break. She learnt at Leicester Cathedral and is still a member of the band there.
Nicky has held various positions at tower, district and Guild level over the years. She has been Deputy Tower Captain and is now ‘Social Secretary’ at the Cathedral. She has been Leicester District Secretary and Chairman and for the Guild she has been Librarian and Ringing Master.
She has rung about eighty peals, give or take, but is not a big fan, and has taken part in local and national ringing competitions, although her focus at ringing has always been about having fun rather than being super serious.
Her daughter, Jenny Ace, is now also a ringer and is doing really well, so the baton has been passed on to the next generation.
Top 5 takeaways
- If you’re feeling anxious about returning to ringing, then talk to someone in your tower who will understand and can look out for you
- Read Nicky’s ART article for more information about the tips and techniques shared in this podcast https://ringingteachers.org/survival-and-recovery-toolbox/confidence-building-techniques
- Interested in find out more about Bach Flower Remedies? Check out https://www.bachcentre.com/en/
- If you’re more concerned about getting back in physical shape for your ringing then ART also has some helpful advice for that http://ringingteachers.org/survival-and-recovery-toolbox/fit-to-ring and Lucy Gwynne, who is a phsyiotherapist, has recorded a complementary talk given to the St Martin’s guild : see https://youtu.be/AxCZcVDHq9w
- Also see Nicky’s therapy website : http://www.mayflowertherapies.co.uk/